Friday 11 May 2007

THE ART OF ASSESSMENT and my PERSONAL VIEW




Building up portfolios is becoming much more common, as people are becoming more and more confident in joining more and more sites (which can be dangerous places for novices, because there are other factors at play, egos, rivalry, jealousy, but that's for another blog).
No matter what most claim, they are not open to true assessment and criticism, some of our images are very personal and close to us, often been held back until ready to let go, when 'rejected' or rather not accepted, but mostly misunderstood, it can hurt.

Portfolios are usually compilations of achievements, including major and favourite pieces of their work, feedback comments from fellow amateurs and photographers and the reflective, explanatory notes, excuses and sometimes analysis by the photographers themselves.

Portfolios tell us more about the photographer, they can contain evidence reflecting a wide range of skills, attributes and a degree of artisticity and imagination.

Portfolios often reflect development, which I love seeing.

Portfolios can show attitudes and values as well as skills and knowledge.
It can be argued that presently we have far too much assessment, but that neither the quality nor the diversity of this assessment is right. We must take into account aspects such as originality, aesthetics,the level of difficulty.
It still remains a subjective and spontaneous response upon a first viewing, the immediate results of the objective properties of the image and the psychological processes of our perception.
Assessment is a private and intimate affair, because of the importance to people, it is probably the aspect of our profession that should be scrutinised most carefully.

I've trimmed down the whole debate for myself.
Simplified it to:

I could put that on 'my wall'.
Whenever I see an image I ask myself, would I have that on 'my wall', meaning could I live with it day after day, would I have 'a good' relationship with it? Would it give me visual and emotional pleasure each time my eyes touch it?
That is often the criterion with which I approach a photo.

The above photo IS on my wall... I am proud of it, even if NOBODY else ever likes it.
Strobe work in the studio.
I asked him to make a beautiful movement, fascinated as I was by trying to capture the emotion of motion in camera.
What I didn't know is that dancers need a point to fix on at each turn, to remain and land on the same spot.
The lighting technique I was using was in complete darkness, euuuhhh, which was a bit of a problem for him, however after a couple of tries, he (we)succeeded.
This is the result.
NO DIGITAL MANIPULATION. ONE SINGLE EXPOSURE, ONE NEG.
A very strong, lean and dynamic man, a joy to watch the human body at work.

Have a fine day and thanx, M, (*_*)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even mijn gedachten ordenen...
Indien we spreken over het beoordelen van creativiteit dan beoordeel ik dat op twee manieren.
Een eerste, en voor mij de belangrijkste, met m'n hart.
Spreekt het me aan, blijf ik staan of loop ik door. Je kan niemand overtuigen dat rood " jouw favorite kleur moet zijn of ... "
Bij Ferrari hebben ze de meeste al wel zo ver gekregen maar, dat is misschien een ander verhaal
Je kan niemand verwijten dat ie er niks van kent.
( Indekken van mezelf want - hou het stil - ik ben een echte cultuurbarbaar ! )
Een tweede is een technische beoordeling. Deze veronderstelt " kennis ". Ook zéér relatief.
Want wie heeft dé kennis ?
Diegene die bv aangesteld is om een cultuurpatrimonium te vergaren en te beheren maar, die gefopt wordt door, ik dacht, een tekening van een kind ? LOL
Onze kennis zou ik willen omschrijven als een verzameling van waarden : harmonie, kleurpaletten, snedes, evenwichten, accenten, vormgeving, ...
die, als je ze in acht neemt,
een bevallig resultaat neerpoten.
Voor een bepaalde cultuur.
Ik neem voor mij muziek.
Hoe meer naar het oosten, hoe moeilijker ik het ermee heb om ernaar te luisteren.
Ga ik dood indien iemand mijn werk op TL vergruist ? Nope ... de volgende.
Ga ik dood indien ik altijd omfloerst word door zoetgebakken complimentjes ? Ja ... creatief dood als je niet oplet. De volgende...
Over een creatie moet kunnen gecommuniceerd worden.
Dàn pas krijgt het z'n ware eer die het stuk toekomt en kan het " rijpen "
Zou misschien beter gaan schrijven ... te koop fototoestel.
Nee hoor !
Groetjes

Jan